The housing, feeding and veterinary care of exotic cats is very expensive. Panther Ridge relies entirely on donations, underwriting and corporate partnerships to help fulfill its mission. You can help by making a tax-deductible donation today.
Among the operational costs we need to cover are:
- Food. Each cat's diet is specially formulated to meet its own specific requirements. We serve more than 100 pounds of beef, chicken, game and supplements every day of the year. That means more than 3,000 pounds of meat per month, delivered by the trailer-load, with annual food costs exceeding $40,000.
- Veterinary care. Some of our cats require daily medication for chronic problems; others have had to undergo advanced surgical procedures. Veterinary expenses typically reach about $1500 per month.
- Facilities. We pride ourselves on our enclosures, which provide stimulation, elements of native habitats (e.g. - climbing apparatus for Amos the black panther, a pond for Aztec the jaguar), proper bedding, and even fans. All enclosures exceed the standards set by the Florida Fish and Game Commission. But new enclosures are needed for new animals, and they can run anywhere from $25,000 to $75,000 each. Sadly, Panther Ridge must often turn down requests to house additional animals due to a lack of funds and facilities. Our goal is to expand our enclosures and habitats modestly, in order to rescue more threatened animals without compromising our standards of care.
- Maintenance. Keeping the existing facilities in proper working order is an ongoing process that costs between $15,000 and $20,000 a year.
- Insurance. Liability insurance is a necessity in most businesses, and this one is no exception. Premiums now total more than $6,500 per year.
Our wish list also includes a transport van for animals (estimated $25,000), a mobile aluminum transport cage (estimated $7,500), an on-site veterinary clinic (estimated $20,000 per year), and a system of web cams, including wiring, server and high speed internet connection (estimated $10,000).
Panther Ridge needs your help. Please consider making a direct donation to our worthwhile cause, or contact us to discuss ways in which you and your business can help support our mission to rescue and care for these magnificent animals.